Monday, August 20, 2007

If you have been reading this blog for some time, you know that it claims as The Gospel Truth that God is relative and that there are no absolutes. This claim flies in the face of the long-established history of Christian thinking. Thus, it is highly probable that this blog does not tell the truth.

Be aware, however, that what I write and my line of reasoning proceeds from development within the complex story that the Christian Bible narrates; I am not reasoning from the traditions that root in Athanasius, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Calvin, Luther, nor any other tradition. If I am wrong, it is because I have not read the Bible with clear eyes.

Anyone who would prove that the idea of divine relativity is wrong-headed, all they would have to do is to prove that:

• The Bible does not clearly reveal a Trinitarian God
• The Bible does not clearly affirm that God is love
• The Bible does not plainly say that all God wants of is love
• God deals with every situation in the same way
• God micro-manages every actual occasion, totally controls every actual entity
• God is never disappointed
• God is impassive, apathetic
• God is never dependant on anything or anyone
• God’s course of action is never frustrated
• God ordained all the attitudes and actions of: Cain, Noah after the flood, Saul, David, Solomon (indeed, all the kings of Israel and Judah), the Herod family, Judas, Simon Peter, Saul of Tarsus, as well as the churches in Corinth, Galatia, and the Seven Churches of Asia
• The Bible speaks uniformly of faith
• The Bible sets forth one linguistic form of a “plan of salvation”
• The Bible speaks of salvation in any definitive language
• God never changes his mind or way
• God intends the failures of the Israel of the Old Covenant
• The human birth of Jesus, Immanuel, was not a new experience in the life of God
• Jesus’ cry of despair made no difference to God
• The Gethsemane prayer and Golgotha’s despair don’t mean what they say.
• The Bible explicitly claims that God is absolute
• Prayer makes no difference to God
• Human repentance makes no difference to God
• God is not up against any strong countervailing forces
• The Bible indicates any kind of ultimate sovereignty other than the Jesus kind
• Any of God’s commands, laws, demands are not rooted in love, aspects of, instances of, and guides or tutors to love.

If you would disprove the idea that God is relative and that there are no absolutes, I am open to consider the possibility that I’ve taken a wrong direction, but I am open only to challenges that are spelled out in terms of the above options. I do not accept the authority of any theologian, tradition, philosopher, or creed, although I freely admit that some of them, inescapably, have been significant elements in the formation of the way my mind works.

I know this much: I know it is possible that I have misunderstood the Bible, because I know that I have neither God nor the Bible figured out. They remain beyond my comprehension.
________________

It remains for me to revisit many of the line items listed above and explain what I mean and what some of the implications are.

No comments: